The bad news spreading across the country this morning is that the most dangerous disease known as CORONA VIRUS which originated from China has been discovered in Lagos through someone who just came back from China.
The first case of coronavirus in Nigeria, a disease that affected 19 European countries – Italy, Germany, France, Spain, SWITZERLAND, UK Russia, Australia, CROATIA, Greece, Finland, Sweden, BELGIUM, DENMARK, GEORGIA, NORTH MACEDONIA, NORWAY, and ROMANIA – was registered in Lagos.
A statement signed by the Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, said an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan to Lagos on February 25 was suspected to have contracted the disease. Ehanire said the Italian was confirmed positive for coronavirus by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH), part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
He said the patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos. The minister advised Nigerians to pay adequate attention to their hygiene and reeled out measures to prevent the contracting of the disease. The statement read: “The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case in Lagos State, Nigeria.
The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020. “The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on the 25th of February 2020. He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos. “The Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health, has been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly.
The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre and will work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.
However, if the situation is not contained properly, then Nigerians will be in trouble, meanwhile, a guide on how we can stay safe has been provided.Follow these precautions to avoid getting infected.
1. Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
2. Maintain at least 1 & half meters (5 feet) distance between you and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
3. People coughing persistently or sneezing should stay indoors or keep a social distance, but not mix with a crowd.
4. Ensure that you and people around you follow good respiratory hygiene by covering mouths and noses with a handkerchief or tissue while sneezing or coughing. You can also sneeze or cough into your sleeve at the bent elbow. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
5. Stay indoors if you feel unwell with symptoms, such as fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing. Please call Lagos State Emergency hotlines 08023169485 or 08033565529 or 08052817243 which are available day and night.
6. Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, the Social Media, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.
This message is from the Lagos State Ministry of Health.
Please share to save lives!!!