Zobo is a popular cocktail prepared simply by steeping the dried calyces of Hibiscus sabdariffa flower, a flower which is native to Western Africa. It is widely known as “Zobo” in Nigeria but referred to as the Roselle drink or the Sorrel drink across the Caribbean. It is known to many others as the Jamaican sorrel. Meanwhile, in Mexico, it is referred to as Aguas Fercas while the Sudanese prefer calling it Karkade.
Notably, this article entails how to prepare zobo drink for weight loss, how to make zobo drink for diabetes, and how to make zobo for sale.
Zobo is widely used as a favourite drink in the northern part of the country, and it slowly got wide acceptance across the country. The drink found it's way to other parts of the world from Western Africa precisely Nigeria. Being widely accepted in other parts of the world, it took different names and variants due to several rare additions.
It is the preferred drink at events like birthdays, and celebrations of such sort. Aside from being used on occasions, Zobo is prepared and taken at various homes even in enormous quantities. Restaurants locally and Internationally have regularly got to feature this unique drink in their menu.
The drink could be prepared without the addition of sweeteners, although it would retain its sour taste. In most cases, natural sweeteners like fruits and spices are added to get an enriched taste. Mixed with such, the Zobo drink produces a trademark floral fragrance and yields a tasty sip.
Aside the refreshing taste it packs, the beverage referred to as Zobo comes with numerous nutritional benefits. It is free from caffeine, a substance found in most teas and coffees which makes individuals stay awake more than normal. Its absence means you could still gulp down your drink without getting a negative effect on your sleeping routine.
Zobo help lower high blood pressure. It does this by managing the sugar level of your blood. An enzyme inhibitor present in Zobo drink restricts the production of amylsea, an enzyme that can break down complex sugar and starches.
Other anti-hypertensive properties of Zobo helps in managing the sugar level of anyone taking it.
Persons with kidney issues are recommended to regularly take in Zobo. This is due to the presence of nutrients like tartaric acid, citric acid, and maleic acid. These acids ensure the kidney filters out oxalic and uric acid, two wastes if left un-eliminated can lead to kidney stone ailment. Furthermore, the antioxidants present in Zobo drink and several various other beverages supports the immune system of the body, and this help to guard against diseases like cancer.
Zobo contains Iron, a nutrient that improves hemoglobin production. This improves the health of those suffering from Anemia.
Other nutritional benefits of the Zobo during includes:
- Riboflavin or vitamin B2 present in the beverage aids in the production of energy.
- Vitamin B1 or thiamine contained in Zobo drink helps to maintain a healthy nervous system.
- Vitamin B3 or niacin supports brain function, maintains healthy skin, and lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- It contains Calcium which helps strengthen the bones.
- Zobo contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which aid in coughs and cold.
- It helps in weight loss due to its high fiber content and low sugar concentration.
Haven known the benefits of Zobo drink, its preparation should be the next needed thing. Preparation of Zobo like any other beverages is straightforward and easy. And except for some special variants of it, not many ingredients are required.
Ingredients/Recipe For Production Of Zobo Drink
- 2 cups* of dry Zobo leaves (dried calyces of Hibiscus sabdariffa flower).
- 1 glove of garlic.
- A generous piece of ginger.
- A big ripe pineapple fruit.
- Enough water° depending on the end quality of drink needed.
The cup should be one gotten after one end of a 850g sized tin of tomato paste is opened.°
The recommended quantity of water shouldn't surpass 15 cups, measured using the same cup used to measure the Zobo leaves.
Production Of The Zobo Drink
- Wash your Zobo leaves properly in cold water. While doing this, it would seem as if the Zobo flavor is being washed off but never worry. Dirt and dust are usually withheld within the calyces of the Hibiscus sabdariffa flower, so wash it properly.
- Wash the Pineapple fruit properly also. Cut it into thin chunks.
- In same manner, peel and cut the ginger and garlic into pieces.
- Input the washed Zobo leaves into a wide pot. The pot should be made glisten clean.
- Add the pieced pineapple and pour in the water to fill the contents of the pot. The water shouldn't surpass the contents.
- Cook the mixture for about five (5) minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the content, and add more water. Boil the resulting mixture for about thirty minutes till it cooks. This should soften the Zobo leaves and Pineapple.
- Next, put down the pot containing the Zobo mixture and leave it to cool.
- Squeeze out the juice from the pineapple, and do same thing to the leaves. Sieve the resulting juice with a narrow-meshed filter.
- Add any additives like flavours to your prepared Zobo drink and get it into the refrigerator to chill. Your Zobo is ready to be enjoyed.
While gulping down your Zobo drink, note that much intake of it results in several disbenefits. One of it is that it reduces Oestrogen level in the body. Oestrogen is one of the two female sex hormones, and it defines sexual characteristics of these individuals as well as aid in development of their reproductive system.
Another disbenefit of Zobo is that it affects blood pressure, as such people with low blood pressure are encouraged to avoid taking it. It is also hinted that the drink could prevent pregnancy, as such couples who intend conceiving children should distance themselves from the drink.
Nevertheless, the advantages of Zobo overpowers it's harms and therefore has been a recommended cocktail. It is also an easy one to prepare.