It took the federal government until April 4th to finally require telecommunications providers to enforce compliance with its National Identification Number-Subscriber Identity Module policy. SIM cards that have not yet been associated with a National Identification Number (NIN) have been prohibited by telecom operators.
Over 72.77 million active telecommunications subscribers have been prevented from making calls on their SIM cards due to the mandate.
To help you to solve this problem, this is how you link your NIN to SIM cards if you're one of those affected by the development.
How to Verify Your National Identification Number
First, you must enroll in the NIN program at one of the approved centers.
Upon completing the enrollment process, you will receive a slip with your NIN. Use the USSD code on your phone to check your NIN.
For retrieving your NIN, Nigerians were instructed by the NIMC to dial *346# on their phone to be able to recover their NIN.
The USSD code works with all the Nigerian mobile telecoms such as MTN, Airtel, 9mobile, and Glo.
How to link your NIN to your MTN Number
If you are looking for help on how you can link your NIN to your MTN line or number then the simple steps below will help you linking your NIN to your MTN number is really not hard at all. Below are the simple steps you need to follow to link your line.Linking your NIM to MTN number using a shortcode:
Linking your NIN to MTN number through MTN online portal:
- Dial *785#.
- Enter the 11-digit NIN code and click "Send."
- If the linkage is successful, you'll receive a successful registration message
- Visit the Customer NIN Capture https://mtnonline.com/nin/
- You will see the form where you will fill in your full name.
- Put your MTN Mobile Number
- Type your NIN
- Enter your e-mail address in the space provided
- Afterwards, press the 'SUBMIT' button
How to link your NIN to your GLO Number
Linking your Glo number with NIN is simple if you know the right code to dial.
- Send UpdateNIN (put space) NIN (put space) First name (put space) and Last Name to 109.
That’s how to link your NIN with Glo
How to link your NIN to Airtel Number
- Dial *121*1#
- Input your 11 digit NIN
You will receive a text message saying it's successful
How to link your NIN to 9mobile Number
- Visit the website https://9mobile.com.ng/nin
- Click on the green space with 'verify and link your NIN now'
- Enter your mobile number and fill the requirements