At least 29 people were reportedly killed with many others sustained gunshot wounds when suspected members of dreaded Boko Haram sect attacked Dille community and other surrounding villages of Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno state.
The incident took place at about 1pm on Monday when the terrorists in large number armed with AK47 rifles and petrol bombs stormed Dille, a predominantly christian community that had witnessed series of deadly attacks in recent times.
Precisely on July 14th, 2014, suspected Boko Haram insurgents invaded the same village where they killed 14 residents, after which, they burnt down three churches including Church of Brethren in Nigeria (EYN) which has the highest number of worshippers in the area.
Also last week, another group of insurgents laid siege on Kopa Mai Kadir and Yazza villages of Askira Uba and killed 15 people before sacking the whole communities.
Residents who were lucky to escape from the attacks told our Correspondent that the insurgents invaded Dille with sophisticated weapons in a convoy of 5 Hilux vehicles and motorcycles where they wrecked havoc without confrontation as they shot at anybody on sight.
Mallam Paul Ali Dille, a resident who escaped the attack, said, the death toll would have been higher, but many residents who quickly noticed the invasion had to run out of Dille to nearby bushes for their safety as there were no security presence in the affected communities.
Reacting to the incident, a Member House of Representatives in Hawul and Askira Uba Federal Constituency of Borno state, Hon. Jubrin Satumari who hail from Dille Village said, the rate at which boko haram insurgents were terrorising his communities is worrisome, and therefore called on the new service chiefs, especially the Chief of Army Staff, Major General Tukur Buratai to step up action towards protecting lives and property of innocent citizens in the affected communities.
Satumari stated this to Journalists while confirming the killing of 29 people by insurgents in Dille yesterday. He described the recent attacks as callous, barbaric and unjustifiable and however called on security agencies in the State to step up surveillance and the people to remain very vigilant about happenings in their areas and report any suspicious persons or movements to the nearest security point or jurisdiction.
“I am much worried over the spate of killings by suspected insurgents in my constituency. I have pleaded to security authorities, particularly military to deploy troops to most of the affected villages to safeguard my people’s lives and property, but all my cries failed on deaf ears as there are no security presence in my constituency yet, but I still want to assure my people that we are doing everything possible to see that military troops are deployed immediately”. The Lawmaker said.
Satumari who noted that the military authorities and other security outfits would do everything necessary to prevent the unwarranted attacks by Boko Haram from escalating, however, hailed efforts so far by President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure that Nigerians were safe and secured in all parts of the country, especially in the North-East geo-political zone where the Military Command and Control Centre is now located.
Satumari said: “It was really a sad day for me to learn that there were renewed attacks in my constituency, some parts of Borno state and the north east in general by the barbaric acts of the insurgents. People are being killed in cold blood, churches, mosques, shops and residential houses were destroyed, it is very unfortunate. I pray God to grant eternal rest for the souls of those killed by insurgents and quick recovery for the injured ones”.
He however said, Boko Haram is not invincible and he have no doubt that the present administration led by President Muhammadu Buhari possesses the requisite political will and determination to decisively fight the insurgents and restore security to affected areas.