1.EGYPT Egypt is a country in the north of Africa with a staggering population of 94 million people and has faced major political crises in the recent past but this has not changed its position as a leading African country when it comes to military strength.
2. ALGERIA Algeria is a country consisting of 48 provinces and 1541 communes. It is the 33rd most populated country on earth with a population of 39.21 million.
3. ETHIOPIA Ethiopia has a population of 94.1 million. It is Africa’s oldest independent country and its second largest in terms of population.
4. SOUTH AFRICA Republic of South Africa, is an African country located at the southern tip of the continent. South Africa is the 25th largest country in the world by area and the 24th most populous country with over 54 million people.
5. NIGERIA Located at the shores of West Africa is the country that is home to a staggering 170 million people. With the available manpower of over 72 million people, there are more than 40 million people who are fit for service with 3.5 million people reaching the military service year every year. Nigeria has 363 tanks, 680 towed-artillery and more than 1,400 armoured fighting vehicles.
6. KENYA Kenya is a major commercial and technology hub in the East Africa. Officially called the Republic of Kenya , the country has a population of about 41 million residents. When it comes to military strength and fire power, Kenya is a force to reckon with.
7. MOROCCO The kingdom of Morocco is a country in the northern region of Africa with a population of over 33 million. The country’s military arm known as the Royal Moroccan Armed Forces is responsible for land-based military operations but in addition to the army, Morocco also has the Navy, the Air Force, the Royal Guard, the Royal Gendarmerie and the Auxiliary Forces.
8. TUNISIA Tunisia is the northernmost country in Africa and home to over 10 million people. There are almost 5 million people who are fit for service out of the 5.7 million available manpower. The number of active front-liner personnel stands at 40,000 with additional 12,000 active reserve personnel.
9.ANGOLA Angola is the 7th largest country in Africa with a population of over 21 million and is located at the southern Africa. There are three components of Angolan military: the Army, Navy and Air Force and all of these have a combined manpower in excess of 100,000 divided into 87,000 active front-line personnel and 30,000 active reserve personnel.
10. LIBYA The 2011 Libya revolution has placed question marks on the military capabilities of a country with population of just over 6 million. Almost 3 million citizens are fit for service and just about 116,000 people reach service age each year but these small numbers correlate quite oppositely to the artillery and ammunition the country boasts of when compared with other African countries.